Monday, July 15, 2013

Movie Review - The Book of Esther







Esther 4:14 
For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place, but you and your father’s family will perish. And who knows but that you have come to your royal position for such a time as this?”


The Book of Esther
Pure Flix Entertainment
Starring: Thaao Penghlis, Marco Khan, Joel Smallbone, Jen Lilley, Mark Irvingsen, David Pires and Hadeel Sittu.

About the film (from Christian Movie Database):
The Book of Esther – Good battles evil in this timeless story of Biblical heroism.
When Ester becomes King Xerxes’ queen, her Cousin Mordecai and that despicable Haman engage in a dangerous game of intrigue for control of the young Persian King Xerxes.
It’s not secret that Haman plans to exterminate the Jews, but Haman’s plan include something horrible for Mordecai and his people.  It is up to Mordecai’s cousin Esther to win the affection of the King, unmask Haman’s treachery and save the Jewish people.
Can Esther convince her husband to spare her people – even though she may be putting her own life at risk?
Based upon the book of Esther, this delightful retelling emphasizes the value of courage, faith and obedience.

My Review: 

The movie "The Book of Esther"takes some liberties with the bible's "Book of Esther" but it truly does admit such and does stick with the purpose of the story.  Viewers are advised from the get go to read for themselves the whole story. My hope is that anyone seeing this film, would be so moved because although the book does honor the truth of the story, it is a bit diluted by the first half pretty much covering Esther and her overly strong desire to be married (literally she harps on it a tad too often) and some terribly corny jokes.  For example, a neighbor woman, Judith often jokes about her marriage to her husband Jacob.  Thankfully we never see Jacob enter the film for if he were, I am fairly certain it would be an "Everybody Loves Raymond" marriage of the bumbling husband and the long-suffering wife.  In my opinion, "The Book of Esther" suffers from these moments of comic relief. 

The second half of the film is far more redeeming.  God's purpose for Esther's marriage to King Xerxes is finally revealed during this part of the film, and it is very well done and well acted.  This is not to say that the first half isn't well acted, it is.  I really felt more that I was enduring the first half of the story while waiting for the good stuff. 

All in all, I am glad I watched the film.  I know there is another film on Esther, and I do plan on watching it as well.  I do admire Esther a great deal, and have learned much from that book in the Bible.  The truth in  Esther's actions being incredibly dangerous and heroic doesn't come out as strongly as I wish it would in this film.  Because of the position God placed Esther, she was able to literally thwart a plan of genocide against the Jewish people.  That is HUGE!  This is a good film.  There is just something lacking.  I felt more like I was watching a film of a play rather than a film that takes you into a different place and time.  I would give this film a light 3 stars.

Personal Pet Peeve:  I find bad wigs incredibly distracting in films.  It would be much better to see an actor with short hair or no hair have either their natural locks or lack of rather than see obvious wigs in a movie depicting this time period. 

Side Note:  I watched this film via Netflix streaming.  I am so thankful that Netflix has such a great selection of Christian films and family friendly films.


4 comments:

  1. I started watching this on Netflix..and never ended up finishing it.. lol. I had to watch the preview to remember the movie. I do like that they have a fairly decent selection of Christian videos though. That has been nice.

    Helen
    Blue Eyed Beauty Blog
    Exercise Encouragement GROUP Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely horrendous. Not so much if you thought of it like a film of a play. If I hadn't been planning on a review, I never would have gone through it beyond the first 20 minutes. :)

      Delete