Friday, March 15, 2013

Learning From My Cat...Again

 **Miles watching another stray cat that hangs out on occasion on our porch.

A while back I shared how we adopted this sweet little stray cat.  He had been coming to our deck in the dead of winter seeking food and taking advantage of a shelter I built for him.   When I noticed he had a pretty rough looking wound on his hip, I had to take him to the vet.

We named him Miles Eastwood.  Miles in appreciation on my son's behalf for Miles O'Brien from Star Trek The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine as well as in reference to the miles that he has traveled as a stray cat.  I threw in Eastwood because all my cats have middle names to fit other parts of their personalities.  Eastwood is because you can look at Miles and just not know what he is thinking.  He could be happy.  He could be sad.  He could be annoyed.  It all looks the same for the most part.  In short...Miles is loveable but a very gnarly cat.

After numerous vet visits, medications, and snuggles, Miles was finally healed from his outward injuries and began to get accustomed to the home life.  After being with us for a month, he was able to finally get to know our other cat Diz, and all seemed to be going well.  But lately, he is very talkative and whiney (especially in the evening which I believe might be a good kitty hunting time).   Miles will cry at the front door, whine at the back door, and occasionally even paw at both.  I have told him (not that he gets what I'm saying) that he is part of our family now and that we will take care of him.  I remind him that there are coyotes outside and that he had a horrible wound from the past (not to mention several missing teeth).  I hope that eventually he gets it.  

It is kind of funny, but when discussing his actions with a co-worker, I realized that I can be a lot like Miles.  I lived in my own wilderness and carry scars from my past.  But I have been adopted into the family of  God.  I don't want to run back to the life that is behind me, but I do often slip into trying to do it all on my own.  Not easy.  I don't have to do it on my own.  I can give my problems to God and know he will help see me through them.  I can let His strength take me through my own weaknesses.  He will never leave me nor forsake me (paraphrase of part of Hebrews 13:5) and I can hold on to the truth in His word that says : For I, the Lord your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, "Fear not, I am the one who helps you."  Isaiah 41:13 

It is my turn to keep in mind that God is with me and live more like it.  :)

2 comments:

  1. It can be easy to forget that we have more than just ourselves to carry us. We put so much faith in our own abilities, even though they've proven short over and over again...yes?? Thank goodness, or I should say thank God for the gentle reminders we get that we don't have to (nor are we supposed to) do it alone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like being like your cat is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete