Tuesday, December 24, 2013

25 Days of Christmas Movies- Movie 5 - Four Christmases





I have been loading up on all things Christmas.  Christmas books, Christmas treats and Christmas movies.  I have watched a Christmas movie a day, but I have been a little slack on sharing them.  So let's get going.  

http://www.amazon.com/Four-Christmases-Blu-ray-Vince-Vaughn/dp/B001CTA1UW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top



Movie Five -
Four Christmases
Starring - Vince Vaughn and Reese Witherspoon, Mary Steenburgen, Robert Duvall, and Sissy Spacek.

About the movie (from Amazon):  A happily unmarried San Francisco couple find themselves socked in by fog on Christmas morning, As a result their exotic vacation plans morph into the family-holiday.

My Review:  When I started watching "Four Christmases" I was kind of looking for a Romantic Christmas Comedy.  It was definitely a comedy, but it wasn't terribly romantic.  For me that was no major deal because most romances can almost be too formulaic in a holiday movie anyway.  

As the movie begins, Kate and Brad seem like a married couple who like to explore all kinds of activities together.  They look like an absolute fun couple who are trying to take the biggest bite of life that they can.  At first this seems refreshing but as they share about their feelings against marriage with others, they start to get more and more unlikeable.  It was actually kind of weird.  


When the weather causes their annual Christmas getaway to be put on the back burner, Kate and Brad instead visit their family who they have actively avoided spending the holidays with.  Each visit gives us a little glimpse into who Brad and Kate are as well as their families.  As both have divorced parents and are fairly dysfunctional, you can kind of see why they are not married themselves.  

Overall, considering the actors in the film, I really expected more.  Obviously they didn't write the dialogue nor direct it, but still there just was too much missing.  It was funny in parts but not that funny and it completely lacked warmth which is something I would expect in a holiday film.  Even when redeemed, these characters were not terribly likeable.  

Because of the actors and title, I would have thought this would be a family friendly film.  I am not a prude when it comes to movies, but I would say that this is not one I would share with my son.  It isn't over the top in sexual nature, but there are moments that would require conversations that I don't think any of the kids in my family would be interested in having.  Especially around the holidays.  

I'd give it about 2.5 stars because there are moments that are good, but again, I would NOT recommend this as a family Christmas film. 

No comments:

Post a Comment