Monday, December 2, 2013

Book Review - Starry Night By Debbie Macomber




After some serious cleaning and cooking (I made two soups with our ham leftovers from Thanksgiving), I was delighted to finish Debbie Macomber's "Starry Night."  I won it from Angela at Griperang's Bookmarks.  What an absolute wonderful win!  





About the book (from Goodreads)

’Tis the season for romance, second chances, and Christmas cheer with this new novel from Debbie Macomber.

Carrie Slayton, a big-city society-page columnist, longs to write more serious news stories. So her editor hands her a challenge: She can cover any topic she wants, but only if she first scores the paper an interview with Finn Dalton, the notoriously reclusive author.

Living in the remote Alaskan wilderness, Finn has written a mega-bestselling memoir about surviving in the wild. But he stubbornly declines to speak to anyone in the press, and no one even knows exactly where he lives.

Digging deep into Finn’s past, Carrie develops a theory on his whereabouts. It is the holidays, but her career is at stake, so she forsakes her family celebrations and flies out to snowy Alaska. When she finally finds Finn, she discovers a man both more charismatic and more stubborn than she even expected. And soon she is torn between pursuing the story of a lifetime and following her heart.

Filled with all the comforts and joys of Christmastime, Starry Night is a delightful novel of finding happiness in the most surprising places


My Review:  I have read so many amazing reviews of Debbie Macomber's books.  I have friends who simply go on and on about how amazing she is.  They tell me about Hallmark type films and how romantic everything is.  To be honest, because of all my friend's romantic hype, I stayed away, but then, I read a little bit about Debbie myself.  I decided to read one book and see for myself.  That book was "The Inn at  Rose Harbor."  Well, that did it.  I decided to try my hand at one more.  Thus...here we are with Starry Night.

Starry Night was a book that immediately pulled me right in.  I was taken with Carrie and Finn from the get go.  I could completely understand Carrie's willingness to do whatever it took to move onto a more meatier beat at work.  Fly to Alaska?  Why not?  Of course when someone doesn't really want to be found, they aren't terribly joyful when they are located.  Even if the person who locates them is absolutely adorable (which of course Carrie is).  

I loved the direction the story went.  I liked that it was a clean read, because I want to read a story and not a love scene.  The characters were well developed and likeable.  If I had any complaint it would simply be that they were a little too perfect.  Is everyone always perfect looking in a romance novel?  I don't read enough of them to really know.   

The visual pictures created by the author were quite lovely too.  I had a complete film flowing through my mind as I read the book.  Which by the way, I had to slowly work my way through.  I wanted to devour it in one sitting, but I didn't want it to end so I purposely would put Starry Night at the top of my bookshelf so I would do other things rather than read.  

As it is a Christmas themed book, I will give it a snowflake rating.  I give it four out of five snowflakes. 

2 comments: